Wednesday, April 20, 2011

FOOD FOR THOUGHT - Saddleback Food Pantry, Feeding Families in Need

Are you looking for a way to "give back" to those less fortunate? If so, Saddleback Food Pantry is a great place to start.

The Food Pantry has an increased need for canned foods, toilet paper, toothpaste, etc., as they are now feeding up to 3,000 families weekly in the Orange County area.

If you click on the link above there is a longer suggested list of items you can donate. And if you're not in the immediate area (don't let this deter you) because you can make a monetary donation by contacting: foodpantry@saddleback.com or calling them at (949) 609-8757.


Food for Thought...





...I took our Costco "Rewards" check (earned from last year's purchases) and picked up quite a lot of canned foods, pasta, tomato sauce, mac n' cheese, soup, PB & J (a favorite); with basically a minimal amount of money of our own; yet a large amount of unexpected Costco credit.

It only took a little bit of my time; but it felt so good to put the reward check towards something more valuable for others versus something selfish for us.



Another way I give back to the Pantry - when I sell an apron 10% of the sales goes to The Food Pantry. It makes sense because aprons are worn mostly during food preparation.





What I've Learned...

Did you know that teenage suicide is greater amoungst the homeless and hungry?





The website for statistics in Orange County specifically is http://www.ocfoodbank.org/hunger/report.html



The Golden Ticket...

I now know that there is also great need in something many of us may take for granite, but others "in need" treat as gold - Toilet Paper.

Think about it for a moment. Being without TP. Not such a great thought, is it? When I hear a story of tears being shed over a necessity such as toilet paper; that gives me an all together different perspective on the donation.

I was told that Kirkland Brand is the best as they sell large packs of individually wrapped roles. PERFECT for the supply and demand at the food pantry.


Why the Pantry?

I've been searching my thoughts asking why I feel such a strong pull to support the Food Pantry? What keeps coming to mind - there are so many less fortunate and in need, and the Pantry can reach out to so many more than I can on my own, as one individual. It just makes sense to me.

Please remember...just because the lackluster of our economy is not in the news everyday, the need is still there. Maybe even more than we realize.

Spring is a time of renewal - mind, body and soul.

So won't you? Please...Donate. If it's not the Food Pantry at Saddleback, maybe something else that touches your heart.


Remind yourself how blessed you are and how you can bless others. Even with just a can of food or a roll of toilet paper.


God Bless You!


Until next time,


No comments: