Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Leg Up

I've been on bed rest for the past 5 days, due to some fluid build up and swelling in my leg where a lymph node was removed.

Honestly I had no idea how difficult it could be to "stay put" in one place. But my goal was achieved by knitting a blanket, watching Netflix and Facebooking. Seriously, thank goodness for yarn and the internet.

Now I have another 10 days of little to no activity. I've been told by my doctor to "make every step count".

I can't wait to get back to exercising, walking with my friends from church and enjoying the outdoors with my hubby. Two weeks can't come soon enough.

I'm grateful to God that my melanoma has been removed and the pathology report came back benign.

But I'm sad I have a 6 inch scar running up the back of my leg. And another scar where the lymph node was removed.

This could have definitely been prevented, had I gone to see a Dermatologist when I first discovered the mole. I just kept putting it off because I thought it was "just another mole".

So I feel my experience with melanoma is to share with others. To let everyone know "how important" it is to see a dermatologist.

I haven't been much of a "sun worshipper" for the last 25 years. The sun damage I experienced was from my late teens to early 30's.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that used Baby Oil or Ban De Soleil in the 80's.

I care - please go see a Dermatalogist, SOON!

Until next time, make healthful choices...

No comments: