Friday, April 15, 2011

The Air We Breathe...

Yesterday I followed a car to work (at least 10 of the 16 miles I commute). It was a car that obviously was not "cared for" in the best possible way. A car that spued an awful amount of smoke out of its tailpipe and it made me sad. Sad knowing that this is just one vehicle (of many) that is not cared for and that is affecting the air we breathe and negatively impacting our environment.


Can I just say - thank goodness for the internet. Because this is what I found...




Drivers who spot a vehicle emitting excessive amounts of exhaust smoke can call the AQMD's toll free number (1-800-CUT-SMOG) or e-mail cut_smog@aqmd.gov and report it.


Take Note Verizon and AT&T mobile phone subscribers can access the automated system toll-free by simply pressing “#” SMOG (7664).


An AQMD staff member will ask callers:


the smoking vehicle's license plate number (the program only has jurisdiction over vehicles registered in the State of California); the vehicle make; and the date, time and location of the observation.


Remember: On any given day, Southland residents traveling the basin's roads and freeways may encounter smoking vehicles. AQMD depends on public participation to help reduce visible exhaust from vehicles. Drivers are encouraged to take a proactive approach to improving this problem by reporting the vehicle to AQMD's smoking vehicle program.


I took my mobile phone, snapped a picture of the license so I could remember what to report. I even took a video which sadly to say I failed to save to my phone. But the photo was all I needed.

Make sure to Click on the blue "Smoking Vehicle" link above to learn more.


If you don't live in California and you may want to help save the enviroment from negligent automobile owners in your area. Simply use your internet search engine and type in "how do I report a smoking vehicle". It just takes a minute.


2011 Earth Day is just around the corner (April 22). Isn't it our duty to help out the environment, even if it's just one vehicle.



Let's all make an effort to help out Mother Nature AND the air we breathe.



No comments: