Friday, July 24, 2009

To Text or Not To Text. . . that is the question

I wonder at times about this topic - "To text or not to text"

I wonder because technology today is incredible. It really is. First came telephones/land lines and the post office. Then came the cell phone and e-mails. Now we merely sit at our computer or pick up our cell phone/PDA and send a quick message off to someone we're thinking about with an "Instant" result.

Do I think it's a great way to keep in touch? Absolutely. But probably it's more of a convenience.

Life can get so busy at times (even hectic). And if you just can't find the time to make a call, the next best thing... text or e-mail. But with that being said, shouldn't we at some point pick up the phone to say "Hi". How long can that take? Is it really a sacrifice? Or is it an inconvenience?

Can texting get in the way of a relationship?

Possibly. Maybe because the "personal" connection gets lost in a text. And I can guarantee you that the "tone" or "inflection" in the voice is lost over the technology miles.

I will be the first to admit that I have used texting/e-mailing to "avoid" speaking directly to someone. I either might not "have 5 minutes" or I just don't have the "emotional energy". But at some point I make an effort to pick up the phone and make a call.

We have even listened to messages at church about relationships vs technology. God wants us to "be connected". It's how he wired us. He created us to have loving relationships. But with technology we can lose that and become disconnected.

I personally have been blessed with very close friends. But several of my close friends are no longer close. Why? They've moved to other areas of California or out-of-state. Does this disappoint me - absolutely. But I make an effort to physically visit these friends who have moved away. Why? Because I don't want to lose the "connection". It might only be once a year, but I've made the effort. And then I call (as often as possible).

Am I looking through "rose colored glasses"? I sure hope not.

I realize that there are people who will be in our lives only a season or two (I've had many relationships like this.). But I believe that the friends I consider "family" will be there for me (and I for them) until my life here on earth has ended. It might not always be easy. At times, difficult for whatever reason. But I make the effort because my heart begins to hurt if I don't stay connected. It's who I am, the person who God made me.


So tell me what you think (I want to know). "To Text or Not to Text". What are your reasons?

No comments: